Arsenal wanted to put the live match-day experience at the heart of their existing iPhone app, with in-app match purchase, live match audio streaming, and push notifications for live score updates. Arsenal also wanted to be the first Premiership football club to bring full iPad support to their app.
Version 1 of the Arsenal app was developed by another agency, and was already installed on thousands of devices. With an established interface already in use, our challenge for version 2 was to rebuild the app with a new match-focussed interface, while being sympathetic to an existing user experience.
We started by wireframing the new interface with Arsenal's editorial team, to reflect the flow of a match from build-up to highlights. Out went the 'More ' section, and in came a live Match Centre with text commentary, live audio, match stats and in-app match purchase.
Arsenal's existing TV Online subscription service was integrated into the app, to drive subscription numbers and link up with the arsenal.com web site. Every screen in the app was tweaked and rejigged to suit the differing needs of the iPhone and iPad devices.
Last but not least, we added an Injuries News section. Arsenal fans the world over will be hoping it isn't needed.
The Official Arsenal App is available on the iTunes Store for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, priced at £2.99.
- Live match centre with text commentary, team lists and Premiership scores
- Live streaming audio commentary for every match
- In-app purchase of individual matches
- Push notifications for half-time and full-time scores
- Integration with Arsenal's existing subscription systems
- Latest news, table and fixtures
- Match highlights and injury news videos
- Picture galleries from every game
- Full Squad info for every player
- Video highlights, interviews and features